What is better than cooking once and having meals for several days? Nothing! These sheet pan shrimp fajitas are perfect for meal prep when you add in rice.
If you would rather just dig in now, that is completely acceptable. These make a great, light weeknight meal. Add cilantro lime rice for a shrimp fajita bowl, then add your favorite toppings.
What Are Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajita Bowls
Sheet pan shrimp fajita bowls are sure to become one of your favorite and easiest meal prep dinners. Sheet pan shrimp fajitas are quick and easy in the oven with fresh bell peppers, onions and shrimp on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. These low-calorie shrimp fajitas are then added to a bowl of flavorful cilantro lime rice.
Add your choice of toppings to the fajita bowl to round out this flavorful meal. Not only are the fajita bowls perfect for a quick and healthy dinner, but these bad boys are made for meal prep. Throw the finished rice and fajitas into a meal prep container and you are set up for a healthy lunch.
How to Make Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
These shrimp fajita bowls come together with two separate finished items that can cook simultaneously.
First, let’s tackle the rice. Be sure to rinse the one cup of rice and drain thoroughly. This is an important step as it keeps the rice from sticking together after cooking. While rinsing the rice, bring two cups of water to a boil in a covered medium saucepan. Add the drained rice and simmer covered for ten minutes. Then remove from heat and let sit covered for ten additional minutes.
After the rice has finished sitting, fluff gently with a fork. Gently mix in one-quarter cup chopped cilantro, one tablespoon olive oil, one half cup lime juice, and one teaspoon salt.
While the rice is cooking, start on the sheet pan fajitas. In a small bowl, mix two tablespoons olive oil, one half teaspoon black pepper, one half teaspoon salt, one half teaspoon garlic powder, one half teaspoon cumin, and one quarter teaspoon chili powder. Next slice a red onion (or onion of your choice) and two bell peppers (I prefer red, yellow, or orange for best flavor) to approximately 1/4″ thickness.
Then spread evenly on half of a parchment-lined baking sheet. Next, add the shrimp to the other half of the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil and seasoning mixture over the vegetables and shrimp. Then gently stir to evenly incorporate the seasoning. Bake for 15 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked thoroughly and fajita vegetables are tender.
Top the prepared cilantro lime rice with the shrimp fajita mixture. Top with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, or any other desired topping.
How To Prepare Shrimp Fajita Meal Prep Bowls
This recipe for sheet pan shrimp fajitas bowls is perfect for meal prep. All you will need is the food and four food storage containers that fit approximately three cups. Or three containers if you decide to go ahead and eat before you are able to get photos.
Prepare the rice and evenly divide between four airtight food storage containers. Then divide the shrimp fajita mixture into four portions and place on top of the rice. Refrigerate within two hours and store for up to four days.
Store optional topping separately and top after reheated.
You May Also Like
- Sheet Pan Turkey Sausage and Veggies – An easy weeknight meal with turkey sausage and fresh roasted veggies.
- Cilantro Lime Rice – The rice is so good, it needs its own dedicated post.
- 1 lb small shrimp, no tail and deveined
- 1 large red onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Rinse basmati rice well.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium covered saucepan. Once the water comes to a boil, add in 1 cup rinsed rice and 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Then remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, and 1/4 tsp chili powder. Set aside.
- Slice red onion and bell peppers to approximately 1/4" thickness. Then spread evenly on half of a parchment lined baking sheet. Then add the shrimp to the other half of the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil and seasoning mixture over the vegetables and shrimp. Then gently stir to evenly incorporate the oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until shrimp are cooked thoroughly and fajita vegetables are tender.
- Fluff cooked rice with a fork and gently mix in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, one tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 cup lime juice, and one teaspoon salt.
- Divide prepared rice into four bowls (or meal prep containers). Top with shrimp fajita mixture.
- Optional: Top with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, or any other desired topping.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 241mg Sodium: 2057mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 28g